ask us a question on permitted development           Permitted Development England
How to build a home extension  without Planning Permission using your PD rights - Oct. 1st 2008



Home Page About Us FAQ Advertise on this site Disclaimer Privacy Contact Us Site Map

Permitted Development Scotland - Oct. 1st 2008.

Scotland has their own Planning Legislation or statutory instruments as they are known. This web site does not cover any aspects of Scottish Planning law and permitted development and you are advised to seek the information elsewhere.

It is generally accepted that the principal of permitted development between Scotland & England comes from the same thinking in so far that the Government wishes to allow homeowners certain rights at erecting minor works to their properties without the need for obtaining formal Planning Permission. However, the detail & the wording are entirely different but cover similar aspects of extending and altering a property.

Some development is classified as ‘permitted development’ and this is examined in the Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (Scotland) Order 1992 and subsequent amendments.

‘Permitted development’ is development for which no formal planning application is required but all the advise is that you seek a legal document from the Council conforming this aspect of your project prior to implementing the works.

The main classes of permitted development include some development within the curtilage of a dwelling house (Part 1); Sundry Minor Operations (Part 2); and Changes of Use (Part 3). Note that the definition of a dwelling house does not include a flat which is the same as for the English version.

Download a pdf guide for Permitted Development in Scotland...




The following document is in PDF format and will open in a NEW WINDOW. You will need Adobe Reader to view it. This can be obtained by clicking the 'Get Adobe Reader' link at the bottom of the page.  guidance on permitted development in Scotland

The rules about changes made to a dwelling house or other property which is listed or within a Conservation Area are more restrictive and possibly allow very little scope for development.

There are other more specialised classes of permitted development such as telecommunications, agricultural buildings, etc.