ask us a question on permitted development           Permitted Development England
How to build a home extension  without Planning Permission using your PD rights - Oct. 1st 2008



Home Page About Us FAQ Advertise on this site Disclaimer Privacy Contact Us Site Map

Permitted Development Conservation Areas - Oct. 1st 2008.

Conservation Areas are classed as Article 1(5) land within planning legislation and much of the permitted development allowances for altering or extending a domestic property is prevented if your property is within a conservation area.

So whenever you see reference to Article 1(5) land or a conservation area within the permitted development wording this will affect what you can do without formal Planning permission under the sites permitted development rights.

Conservation areas are meant to be of historic importance and worthy of protection by the use of planning controls. Therefore affording people rights to extend or alter a property within these usually sensitive areas is curtailed under the new Permitted Development rights.

One area of development that has been relaxed with regard to Article 1(5) land including AONB and Conservation areas is with regard to Class E of the Permitted Development rules being detached outbuildings. The previous PD criteria simply removed all your rights to build garden structures over 10 cubic meters within your garden.

The new permitted development rights for conservation areas now allow the erection of detached garden outbuildings provided hey are strategically located within the site which is within 20 of the rear wall of the existing dwelling for AONB or not between the side wall & the side boundary for a Conservation Area. This is great news for the trade & industry supplying garden outbuildings.

Download a pdf guide for Permitted Development in conservation areas...




The following document is in PDF format and will open in a NEW WINDOW. You will need Adobe Reader to view it. This can be obtained by clicking the 'Get Adobe Reader' link at the bottom of the page.  guidance on conservation area appraisals

As always, you are advised to obtain professional drawings completed by a Building Designer which can be used as part of a formal Certificate of Lawful Development application to the Council that will formally and legally confirm that your project is indeed permitted development.