ask us a question on permitted development           Permitted Development England
How to build a home extension  without Planning Permission using your PD rights - Oct. 1st 2008



Home Page About Us FAQ Advertise on this site Disclaimer Privacy Contact Us Site Map

Permitted Development and Agricultural Buildings - Oct. 1st 2008.

The Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 provides a general planning permission known as “permitted development rights” for certain types of minor development.

The types of permitted development most likely to be of benefit to farmers include:

  • temporary uses of land
  • agricultural buildings below a certain size
  • forestry buildings
  • caravan sites and related buildings in some circumstances

permitted development agricultural buildings

Permitted development rights are not available for farm or forestry dwellings, or for livestock units sited near residential and similar buildings.

Before making use of agricultural permitted development rights, you should check if the local planning authority requires prior approval.

Environmental Impact Assessment

Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) is a formal procedure for ensuring that the potential impact on the environment of certain new development and changes to land use are fully considered before the development begins.

The local planning authority considers the environmental effects of a proposed development, usually in reaching a decision on a planning application.

EIA will not normally be required for most smaller scale development but is mandatory for certain developments, such as large installations for the intensive rearing of poultry or pigs. Smaller intensive livestock installations and fish farming installations normally require EIA only if they are likely to have significant environmental effects.

Your local planning authority will advise if EIA is required.

Download a pdf guide for Permitted Development rights for agriculture and forestry...




Annex E: Permitted Development Rights For Agriculture And Forestry