ask us a question on permitted development           Permitted Development England
How to build a home extension  without Planning Permission using your PD rights - Oct. 1st 2008



Home Page About Us FAQ Advertise on this site Disclaimer Privacy Contact Us Site Map

Permitted Development Agricultural - Oct. 1st 2008.

This web site only seeks to explore the permitted development issues relating to domestic dwellings rather than agricultural buildings. However, even a farm house is usually treated as a single domestic dwelling within its own defined residential curtilage that can utilise its permitted development rights.

Erecting buildings for agricultural use under permitted development falls under another schedule within the GPDO and reference must be made to that document.

The Town & Country Planning (General Permitted Development) Order 1995 provides a general planning permission known as “permitted development rights” for certain types of minor development for agricultural land and buildings.

The types of permitted development allowances most likely to be of benefit to farmers include: 

  • temporary uses of land
  • agricultural buildings below a certain size
  • forestry buildings
  • caravan sites and related buildings in some circumstances

Permitted development rights are not available for farm or forestry dwellings, or for livestock units sited near residential and similar buildings. Before making use of agricultural permitted development rights, you should check if the local planning authority requires prior approval.

Download a pdf guide for Agricultural Permitted Development...




The following document is in PDF format and will open in a NEW WINDOW. You will need Adobe Reader to view it. This can be obtained by clicking the 'Get Adobe Reader' link at the bottom of the page.  guidance on agricultural permitted development